Crazy Pineapple poker is essentially a spin on the highly popular Texas Hold ‘em poker, with only one major difference that every player at the table is dealt three facedown cards, instead of two (as in case of the latter). One of the three cards needs to be discarded after the flop. The rest of the rules stay the same.
What really makes Crazy Pineapple poker highly exciting is that you get an extra chance of making a good five card poker hand, owing to the third hole card! As a result, more number of people make better poker hands in Crazy Pineapple poker compared to the Texas Hold ‘em variant of the game. And because of this reason, everyone needs to be a tad bit extra careful as well. Unlike Texas Hold ‘em, where one’s chances of winning with a two or one pair are quite high, straights and flushes are commonplace in Crazy Pineapple poker. Therefore, you must never overestimate your hand and keep in mind that you need to discard one of the three dealt cards.
As the extra card needs to be discarded right after the flop, unlike in Pineapple poker wherein it happens post the first and second betting rounds, this game has a far more tactical appeal. Although Crazy Pineapple poker is normally played using the fixed limit betting structure, people can even play it the pot limit and no limit betting way as well.
How the game is played
Two players seated to the immediate left of the dealer are required to place their respective blinds (small and big) right at the start of the game. This is even before the dealer deals the cards. This rule applicable to all poker rooms, regardless of whether you’re playing Crazy Pineapple poker in an off-line or an online casino such as Bet365 etc.
Talking about online casinos, please keep in mind that although you may be tempted to indulge in other highly popular online casino games like slots, craps, roulette etc., all those kinds are more dependent on luck or chance than any poker variant (for instance crazy pineapple poker). If you do need to play those games as they often form the staple of your casino diet, it’d be better that you opt for their free-of-charge versions, for example slot gratis
The incorporation of blinds helps in ensuring that there is a certain minimum amount of money in the community pot for the players to battle for. The dealer’s position keeps rotating in clockwise direction around the table and hence the blinds also keep rotating accordingly. The first player sitting to the left of the dealer puts the small blind, while the one sitting next to him/her puts the big blind (normally two times the small blind amount). Once the blinds are place, every player at the table beginning from the small blind is dealt three facedown cards by the dealer. These cards are also referred to as hole cards or pocket cards.
The first betting round (pre-flop)
The player sitting to the left of the big blind starts the first betting round and is said to be ‘under the gun,’ as s/he’s the first one to act. This player may take any of the following actions:
Fold – It implies that he/she may discard his/her cards, thus losing his/her chance to play any further in the hand.
Bet or Call – It implies that he/she may place a bet equal to the big blind amount.
Raise – It implies that he/she may raise the bet amount depending on the specified limits for the game.
The remaining players at the table may act based on the decision of this first player and/or the player/s before them. Apart from folding, calling or raising, these players may also check their hands.
Check – It implies that the player may neither fold his/her cards nor place any bet amount. He/she simply passes on his/her turn to the next player seated at the table. (Please note, this can only be done if none of the players have placed a bet yet).
Once the first betting round is over, the dealer places first three of the five community cards in face up position on the table. This move is also referred to as ‘flop’ and the cards can be used by all players for creating their best five card poker hand.
The second betting round (Flop)
Once the flop is through, the first active player sitting to the left of the dealer begins the second betting round. This player can either call, check, raise or fold his/her cards. Whatever he/she may do, as long as he/she isn’t folding his/her cards, this player must discard one of his/her three hole cards into the muck. The remaining players on the table may call, check, fold or raise the bet. This betting round comes to an end after every active player on the table has folded or matched the highest bet amount, followed by discarding one his/her three hole cards. This rule stays the same irrespective of whether the game’s being played in an offline or an online casino like Bet365 etc. Furthermore, if you’re looking for a good place to play Crazy Pineapple or any other poker variant on the internet, and are looking for detailed info related to the bonuses provided by all such online casinos, is the website you just can’t afford to miss! You’ll find all such details here.
This betting round proceeds the same way as the first one, with the action moving in clockwise direction around the table.
The third betting round (Turn)
After the second betting round is over and all active players on the table have burned one of their three hole cards, the dealer deals the fourth community card (after burning the top card of the deck) in face up position on the table. This card or move is also referred to as the ‘turn.’ It is followed by another betting round starting from the first active player to the dealer’s left and happening the same way as the previous round, with the only exception that the players aren’t required to discard any more cards.
The fourth betting round (River)
Before this betting round, the dealer burns another top card from the deck and deals the final community card in face up position on the table. This card or move is referred to as the river and is followed by the fourth and final betting round. The action proceeds the same way as the preceding rounds, starting from the first active player to the dealer’s left, and then in clockwise direction. The players can call, check, raise or fold depending on the action/s of the player/s before them.
The play heads into the showdown stage if two or more players remain in the hand.
The showdown stage
In this stage of the game, the player who had most recently raised the bet reveals or flips up his/her cards on the table. In the event that all players had checked in the last betting round, it’s the first active player sitting to the dealer’s left who flips up or reveals his/her cards first.
The action moves in clockwise direction and every remaining player on the table can either reveal his/her hand or fold (if his/her hand is weaker than others’). The winner is decided based on the best five card poker hand. The players may use two, one or none of their hole cards, employing the remaining ones from the board, to make their five-card hands. Please note, the hand rankings used are the same that are applicable in Texas Hold ‘em poker. And the rules stay the same regardless of an offline or online casino, such as Bet365 etc. These are:
Royal straight flush (10 J Q K A)
– A five card poker hand consisting of an ace-high sequence with all cards belonging to the same suit.
– A five card sequence of any type (other than the royal straight flush) with all cards belonging to the same suit.
Four of a kind
– A five card poker hand having four cards of the same rank. For instance: J J J J 8, 9 9 9 9 6, Q Q Q Q 5, K K K K J etc.
– A five card poker hand consisting of three matching cards of the same rank and two more matching cards of a different rank. For instance: Q Q Q J J, 9 9 9 K K, 5 5 5 9 9, 2 2 2 7 7 etc.
– A five card poker hand consisting of all cards belonging to the same suit
– A five card poker hand consisting of a five card sequence of any suits. The ace can be used both in the form of the highest card, or as ‘1.’
Three of a kind
– A five card poker hand having at least three cards of the same rank. For instance: A A A 8 10, 9 9 9 7 8, K K K J 7, 5 5 5 6 8 etc.
– A five card poker hand consisting of two pairs of matching cards. For instance: 9 9 3 3 8, J J K K 5, 7 7 Q Q 8, 2 2 9 9 6 etc.
– A five card poker hand consisting of at least one pair of matching cards. For instance: 6 6 9 2 4, Q Q 6 8 2, K K J Q 7, A A 6 2 5 etc.
– A five card poker hand that makes you a winner by virtue of having the highest card in your hand compared to others. In case two or more players get the exact same high card, the winner is decided based on the second-highest cards of the five card poker hands. In the rare eventuality of two or more players ending up with the same five cards, the pot is split equally among them.
Any time a Crazy Pineapple poker player sees himself/herself running out of money in a particular hand, he/she may continue playing by going ‘all-in’ into the game. This leads to the creation of a side pot, the amount in which is fought for by the remaining players in the game. Please note, the player choosing to go all in as well as every other active player on the table is eligible for the amount in the main community pot up until that point of the game.
Applicable betting structures
Let’s now briefly go over the different betting structures applicable to Crazy Pineapple poker. These are:
Fixed limit betting structure
– The most commonly played variant of Crazy Pineapple poker is its fixed limit version wherein the bet sizes remain the same as the big blind during the first two betting rounds. They become twice the big blind after the turn and river.
Pot limit betting structure
– In this variant of Crazy Pineapple poker, the bet sizes stay limited to the maximum amount of chips already present in the community pot.
No limit betting structure
– In this variant of Crazy Pineapple poker, there are no limits on the bet amounts, implying that you can bet almost anything as long as you have enough money in your chip stack. The stakes can go pretty high in this version of the game!